EVERYONE is Qualified to Free File!
Let Free File do the solid work for you with brand-name software or online Fillable Forms. You can prepare and e-file your federal tax returns for free. Participating software companies make their products available through the IRS. Some also support state tax returns.
Review the three-step process below, and you will be on your way to e-filing your tax return–for free!
1. Get Ready
Collect your tax information.
- You require a copy of last year’s tax return and your W-2s, 1099s, etc.
Establish your AGI.
- Check your last year’s tax return for a quick estimate of your adjusted gross income (AGI). Did you know that approximately 70% of all taxpayers have an AGI of $58,000 or less?
Review the Free File FAQs.
- Read the Free File FAQs and Free File Fillable Forms FAQs for more information about the program.
2. Choose a Free File Option
Use Free File Tax Software: This program is available if your AGI is $58,000 or less:
- Get help finding a Free File company that’s right for you.
- Browse the list of Free File companies to choose your own; or
Use Free File Fillable Forms.
- Everyone is eligible to use Free File Fillable Forms, which are online versions of our paper forms designed for people comfortable preparing their own tax returns. This option does not offer state tax returns and performs only basic calculations.
3. e-file Your Return for Free!
E-file with Free File.
- Transmit your return electronically by using secure IRS e-file.
Use direct deposit.
- Get your tax refund quickly and safely, and you can track your tax refund status within 72 hours after you e-file.
- Find out more about available electronic payment options.